Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Greatest Chilean

When I think about some hero or heroine of this country, I can't imagine one that could be entirely my favorite, because I don´t like them to had killed, even defending their own country, and many of the national heroes had done that. Or another had been womanizers, which is something that I really hate. Or some of them died resigning their beliefs. Some others have done great things for the country in other areas, as literature, art, and science researching, but I can't choose only one. I think I can tell you that there's a group of people I admire, but they're not exactly "chileans", the mapuche people. I mean, they don't consider themselves as "chileans", because they know they're an extremely different culture, not inserted in the system, and that's why they had been exploited, their lands and beliefs. I've already said that I condemn killing, but when they fought in the Conquest against the Spaniards, they defended their lands and their families, also their culture, bravely, until nowadays. They are not evil, or ambitious in a bad way, instead, they just defend and preserve what is theirs. They’re very respectful of land and nature, and their religion tells us that they believe in deep powers, which can be performed by a person, a good witch, called “machi”, who can stop diseases and get apart the illness. They also celebrate good harvests, and they feel thankful to the land, which lets them live comfortably and plenty. We have so many things to learn about them, about their knowledge. We feel very proud about our modern society and technologies, but we ignore too many things about cosmos and our own nature that they know very well.


No comments:

Post a Comment